Saturday, February 13, 2010

More wires! I need more wires!

Cordwood construction makes exterior walls that are hard to change. A sledgehammer is required. Adding a new power circuit is tricky. My floor is also poured concrete, so no help there. I want to make sure to do what I can now so it's not a problem later.

I'm thinking of making putting a timber post every 8'. (Making plywood and drywall fit easily.) On one side of each post, I will run conduit with wire for power. On the other side of each post, conduit for low-voltage. In the middle of each panel, flex conduit left empty, for later expansion.


Code has power outlets every 12', so every 8' will be nice. And if that's ever too far, there's another spot just 4' away.  Goodbye extension cords.


I don't use ethernet now, except for short local runs. Wi-Fi is reliable enough and fast enough for me these days, and it keeps getting better. We don't watch cable TV. We don't use land lines. So the low-voltage may sit idle forever! But I know to build it anyway, because now it's easy and later it's hard.

I haven't though about interior wall wiring much. They're so much simpler to change that it's just not on my radar yet. I'll get to it at some point, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment